Cincinnati PF25/26

M

mvt

Compagnon
Hi Zohar,

With the pulley diameter, its height, the number of teeth and the distance between centers, you'll have a good approximation of the timing belt characteristics. You can compare with online web sites for belts furniture for example.
Just wait for your request to Cincinnati (or compare with them).

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi Michel,
this is Cincinnati's answer:

Alas this machine is too old and I could not find the references of these two belts in my archives.
cordially

They want to sell, but do not know the belt's size.: smt043

I took some measurements of the pullies.
first, I had to find the correct pitch ........ and the pitch is 0.2" = 5.08 mm . this is the XL series, not milimetric as I was thinking.
width of the belts is 15 mm, number of teeth: 72 teeth & 83 teeth. and becouse I'm not so sure, I'v ordered an XL belt 10 mm
wide, only for check the exact length. cost me less than $ 1.
We'll wait for this belt to arrive, and only than I'll know what to order.
Meanwhile, I'm busy with the mechanical parts of the machine.(some pics. soon)

Salut Michel,
c'est la réponse de Cincinnati:
Hélas cette machine est trop vieille et je n'ai pas pu trouver les références de ces deux ceintures dans mes archives.
Cordialement
Ils veulent vendre, mais ne connaissent pas la taille de la ceinture .: smt043
J'ai pris quelques mesures des pulls.
d'abord, je devais trouver le pas correct ........ et le pas est de 0,2 "= 5,08 mm. il s'agit de la série XL, pas milimétrique comme je le pensais.
largeur des ceintures est de 15 mm, nombre de dents: 72 dents & 83 dents. et parce que je ne suis pas si sûr, j'ai commandé une ceinture XL 10 mm
large, uniquement pour vérifier la longueur exacte. m'a coûté moins de 1 $.
Nous attendrons que cette ceinture arrive, et seulement que je saurai quoi commander.
Pendant ce temps, je suis occupé avec les pièces mécaniques de la machine. (Quelques photos. Bientôt)

Zohar.

Dernière édition:
Z

zohar956

Apprenti
syncronous timming belts.

Basic Timing Belt Parameters
Classical Timing belts
Belt
Section
MeaningPitch
mm
Widths Available
mm
MXLExtra Light2,0323,05 4,826 6,35
XLExtra Light5,086,35 9,652 15.875
LLight9,52512,7 19,05 25,4
HHeavy12,719,05 25,4 38,1 50.8 76,2
XHExtra heavy22.22550.8 76,2 50.8 76,2 101,6 127101,6
XXHDouble extra heavy31,7550.8 76,2 101,6 127

HTD- Curvilinear
Belt
Section
DesignationPitch
mm
Widths Available
mm
3M3mm High Torque Drive36 9 15
5M5mm High Torque Drive59 15 25
8M8mm High Torque Drive820 30 50 85
14M14mm High Torque Drive1440 55 85 115 170
20M20mm High Torque Drive20115 170 230 290 340

GT - Curvilinear
Belt
Section
NamePitch
mm
Widths Available
mm
2MR (Gates)2mm High Torque Belt23 6 9
3MR (Gates)3mm High Torque Belt36 9 15
5MM (Gates)5mm High Torque Belt59 15 25

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi Michel,

thanks for the calculator. I'll use it to verify my calculations when I'll finish to reassemble the machine.
belts size - the belts are differant. the horizental is larger (83 teeth) than the vertical(72 teeth).

this evening I finished to tear the machine apart. all parts has been washed, and derusted, and I'm almost ready
to start with the painting process which I really don't like - It is a pain in the ass for me.
from the top cover of the machine, which was completly damaged, I removed the front and rear panels to straighten it.
It was impossible to do it in a different way, and need to be welded back again into place.
next week I'll start to clean the last part - the base of the machine.

alut Michel,
merci pour la calculatrice. Je vais l'utiliser pour vérifier mes calculs lorsque j'aurai fini de remonter la machine.
taille des ceintures - les ceintures sont différentes. l'horizontale est plus grande (83 dents) que la verticale (72 dents).
ce soir, j'ai fini de déchirer la machine. toutes les pièces ont été lavées et dérouillées, et je suis presque prêt
pour commencer avec le processus de peinture que je n'aime vraiment pas - C'est une douleur dans le cul pour moi.
du capot supérieur de la machine, qui était complètement endommagé, j'ai retiré les panneaux avant et arrière pour le redresser.
Il était impossible de le faire d'une manière différente, et doivent être soudés à nouveau en place.
la semaine prochaine, je vais commencer à nettoyer la dernière partie - la base de la machine.

Zohar.

Dernière édition:
M

mvt

Compagnon
Hi Zohar,

The most important thing is you find the right timing belts :)
For painting, I use a gravity paint gun... It requires more time to clean it than to paint with it :)
But the finis is much better.
I forgot the preparation time... cabin, etc.

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hello friends,
some progress with the beast.
the 150Xl (75 teeth) timing belt has been arrived. I cut the belt, wrarpe it around the wheels, and count the missing teeth.
Well.............. the calculations were very accurate and the teeth numbers are 72 teeth (144Xl) and 83 teeth (166Xl), 5/8 wide, both.
END OF THE STORY. :supz:
now I'm going to inform Cincinnati about these belts, to upgrade their arcive data base:P

onjour les amis,
certains progrès avec la bête.
la courroie de distribution 150Xl (75 dents) est arrivée. Je coupe la ceinture, je l'enroule autour des roues et compte les dents manquantes.
Eh bien .............. les calculs étaient très précis et les nombres de dents sont de 72 dents (144Xl) et 83 dents (166Xl), 5/8 de large, les deux.
FIN DE L'HISTOIRE. : supz:
maintenant je vais informer Cincinnati de ces ceintures, pour mettre à jour leur base de données arcive: P

IMG_20190715_215746 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20190715_220008 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20190715_215334 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20190715_215402 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20190715_215326 (Medium).jpg

Dernière édition:
M

mvt

Compagnon
Waouh :) Nice machine.
the 150Xl (75 teeth) timing belt has been arrived. I cut the belt and took the exact number of teeth I need.
Well.............. the calculations were very acurate and the teeth numbers are 72 teeth (144Xl) and 83 teeth (166Xl), 5/8 wide, both.
So, do you find the right model (both of them, upper and lower belt) ?

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi Michel,
the answer is defently yes.
the horizontal belt is 166xl, the vertical is 144xl.
166 means that the length of it is 16.6", 144 =14.4"
new belts has been ordered, and it cost me less than 18$.
I'll keep inform you about any significant progress.
thanks.

a réponse est résolument oui.
la ceinture horizontale est 166xl, la verticale est 144xl.
166 signifie que sa longueur est de 16,6 ", 144 = 14,4"
de nouvelles ceintures ont été commandées et cela m'a coûté moins de 18 $.
Je vous tiendrai informé de tout progrès significatif.

Merci.
zohar.

Dernière édition:
Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi Michel,
This machine allmost didn't work.
It used for pre army Cadetes training, and they didn't know how to engage and disengage the automatic machanizm.
So.... they tear all the machine aparts and reassemble in a wrong way. this was the deathblow of the sevice life for this beast.
the main problem was rain water penetration into the qwill and spindel, which made some heavy rust in it.
As you understand, I cleaned and derusted all parts, all bearing has been replaced, and now, everything moves perfectly.

Each part I put back in place, I salute to the french engineers who designed and built this machine.

tte machine ne fonctionnait presque pas.
Il était utilisé pour l'entraînement préalable des cadets de l'armée, et ils ne savaient pas comment engager et désengager le machanizm automatique.
Alors ... ils déchirent toutes les pièces de la machine et se remontent de manière incorrecte. ce fut le coup fatal de la vie de service pour cette bête.
le principal problème était la pénétration de l'eau de pluie dans le qwill et le fuseau, ce qui a provoqué une forte rouille.
Comme vous le comprenez, j'ai nettoyé et déformé toutes les pièces, tous les roulements ont été remplacés, et maintenant, tout bouge parfaitement.
Chaque pièce que j'ai remise en place, je salue les ingénieurs français qui ont conçu et construit cette machine.
zohar.

Dernière édition:
  • Réagir
Reactions: mvt
Z

zohar956

Apprenti
bonjuor friends,
restoration takes a lot of efforts and time, but I can see the light at the end of this tunnel.
some pics. of the machine today.

bonjour amis,
la restauration demande beaucoup d'efforts et de temps, mais je vois la lumière au bout de ce tunnel.
quelques photos. de la machine aujourd'hui.

IMG_20190916_193111 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20190916_183009.jpg

IMG_20190916_193124 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20190916_194748 - עותק (Medium).jpg

linear scales has allready been mounted on the x,y table but becouse the base of the new machine is yet not ready , the table is still
mounting on the PF25.
I'v made some improvements to make life easy. more pics.- soon.

des échelles linéaires ont déjà été montées sur la table x, y mais parce que la base de la nouvelle machine n'est pas encore prête, la table est toujours
montage sur le PF25.
J'ai fait quelques améliorations pour vous faciliter la vie. plus de photos.- bientôt.

Zohar.

Dernière édition:
M

mvt

Compagnon
Hi Zohar,

It looks like a new one !
Just need to find a cover (for aesthetics, design ... and security ! ) or a protection between you and the belts... (beside the speed control knob for the speed controller and the front pulleys.

Do you think the support is strong enough for this kind of machine ?

I saw you are using a Var (VFD). May be you can add an emergency button too ?

For the speed display, did you use a magnetic sensor (hall sensor) or a light sensor ? (under the pulley)

Michel

A

Astore

Ouvrier
Zohra,
Fantastisch machine and what a beautiful restoration you made there. I agree with Michel, a good protection on all the moving parts is a must.
Keep us informed on your progress with this machine please.
Thomas

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Thank you both Michel and Thomas.(taking care of my safety :supz: )
the cover and the stand of the machine yet not ready . when I'll finish the modifcations and painting I'll reassemble to the machine.
the service cart holding the machine now, is temporary and it is not strong enough to hold the machine +cross table
+working stress.
for the emergency button- many years I'v been working with a pro. milling maching and I don't remember that I ever used an emergency stop.
anyway, I intend to add a mechanical emergency button which will stop the rotation of the spindel.:tumbsupe: wait and see.
the r.p.m display is china made and it is magnetic not optic.
as you can see I'm still in process not realy ready to work with the machine, but the hard work is finished.

here are pics. of the linear scales mounting on the cross table. the Y axis on the right of the table and the X axis on the back of it.
to do that job I had to make some changes at the oil lub pipes- a lot of work - but it done.

thanks again,

Merci à vous Michel et Thomas (en prenant soin de ma sécurité: supz:)
le couvercle et le support de la machine pas encore prêt. quand j'aurai fini les modifcations et la peinture je vais remonter sur la machine.
le chariot de service maintenant la machine est temporaire et il n'est pas assez solide pour tenir la machine + table croisée + contrainte de travail.
pour le bouton d'urgence - depuis de nombreuses années, je travaille avec un pro. fraisage et je ne me souviens pas avoir déjà utilisé un arrêt d'urgence.
de toute façon, j'ai l'intention d'ajouter un bouton d'urgence mécanique qui arrêtera la rotation du spindel.:tumbsupe: attendez et voyez.
l'affichage r.p.m est fabriqué en Chine et il est magnétique et non optique.
comme vous pouvez le voir, je suis toujours en train de ne pas vraiment être prêt à travailler avec la machine, mais le travail acharné est terminé.
voici des photos. des échelles linéaires montées sur la table croisée. l'axe Y à droite du tableau et l'axe X à l'arrière de celui-ci.
pour faire ce travail, j'ai dû faire quelques changements au niveau des tuyaux de lubrification à l'huile - beaucoup de travail - mais c'est fait.

Merci encore,
Zohar.

IMG_20190922_223636.jpg

IMG_20190922_223622.jpg

Dernière édition:
Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi,
It has the same descent mechanism, but it is a drill press, not a milling machine. (I think)
now look at these parts I'v made and tell me what do you think ....

Salut,

Il a le même mécanisme de descente, mais c'est une perceuse à colonne, pas une fraiseuse. (Je pense)

maintenant regardez ces pièces que j'ai faites et dites-moi ce que vous en pensez ....

IMG_20190922_224153.jpg

IMG_20190922_224217.jpg

IMG_20191002_060206.jpg

IMG_20191001_095912.jpg

IMG_20191001_095923.jpg

IMG_20191002_055903.jpg

This was the reason I installed the linear scale bar at the back of the table.
Now I can lock the table on the X axis from the front. no need to go around, and this is a significant improvement
for me, that makes life easy ....

the next improvement I'm working on, is this.
Can you guess what it is?

C'est la raison pour laquelle j'ai installé la barre d'échelle linéaire à l'arrière de la table.
Maintenant, je peux verrouiller la table sur l'axe X par l'avant. pas besoin de faire le tour, et c'est une amélioration significative
pour moi, cela rend la vie facile ...
la prochaine amélioration sur laquelle je travaille, est la suivante.
Pouvez-vous deviner ce que c'est?

IMG_20190929_164904.jpg

Thanks a lot!
Zohar.

Dernière édition:
A

Astore

Ouvrier
You have very practical ideas Zohar! Have a good weekend, Thomas

M

mvt

Compagnon
Really good ideas. The machine found a good house... and a powerfull expert user :)

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi,
thank you.
I'm far from being an expert. this is just a hobby and my home shop is very small and very poor.
I think this is the right time to introduce myself.
My name is Zohar Lev from Israel, 63 yo married + 2 children.
profession- electronic engineer, but working in a different field.
long long time ago I'v been working as a mechanist. those days are gone, but the passion and love to machines still remain.
This is the answer to - why I'm doing all these? - especially for my soul.
some day maybe my "practical ideas" will spread among other Cincinnati's milling machines oweners, and could help others.
I'll keep inform any progress.

Wish you both Thomas and Michel a pleasant and injoyable weekend.
Thanks again.

Hi,
Merci.
Je suis loin d'être un expert. c'est juste un passe-temps et mon magasin à domicile est très petit et très pauvre.
Je pense que c'est le bon moment pour me présenter.
Je m'appelle Zohar Lev d'Israël, 63 ans marié + 2 enfants.
profession - ingénieur en électronique, mais travaillant dans un domaine différent.
il y a longtemps, je travaillais comme mécanicien. ces jours sont révolus, mais la passion et l'amour des machines demeurent.
C'est la réponse à - pourquoi je fais tout cela? - surtout pour mon âme.
un jour peut-être mes «idées pratiques» se répandront parmi les autres propriétaires des fraiseuses de Cincinnati et pourront en aider d'autres.
Je vais vous informer de tout progrès.

Je vous souhaite à Thomas et Michel un week-end agréable et inoubliable.
Merci encore.

Zohar.

Dernière édition:
M

mvt

Compagnon
Hi Zohar,

That's great, your older than me :)
I work on organization (information systems and computer integration in organizations, professional users point of view).
Lathe and milling machine are only for my hobbies too.
You did a real hard work on your machine (just compare the first picture and the last one), and the "accessories you made are really useful.
I remain a beginner :)
Have a good (and beautiful) week-end. I suppose the weather is better than here !

A

Astore

Ouvrier
Ha, I beat you all at 66. Retired from the oil industry and collector/restorer of old motorcycles, hence my interest in lathes and milling machines. When looking back at the first pictures, Israeli junkyards are real treasure-islands.
Keep up the good work Zohar.
Thomas

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi Thomas,
talking about old motorcycles. my first and last bike was a twine 650cc BSA lightning 1963 model.
that time I was 26 y.o. and he served me about 8 years.
I wish I could have it back again.....

Dernière édition:
Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi friends,:-D
allmost at the finish line........

Salut les amis,: - D
presque à la ligne d'arrivée ........

IMG_20191011_123456.jpg

managing the quill descent speeds by a front lever and "vernier grades":tumbsupe:

estion des vitesses de descente de la plume par un levier avant et "grades vernier"

IMG_20191011_123508.jpg

coolant sys. controlled by electric valve activates from the front panel.

système de refroidissement. contrôlé par une valve électrique s'active depuis le panneau avant.

IMG_20191011_132719.jpg

the index pin is working great, no need a second wrench. now it is much more easier to change tools.

a broche d'index fonctionne très bien, pas besoin d'une deuxième clé. maintenant, il est beaucoup plus facile de changer d'outils.

IMG_20191011_134313.jpg

here is she....... the queen of my home shop.

la voici ....... la reine de ma boutique à domicile.

IMG_20191011_134708.jpg

last one.
the original bottom frame of the base has been cut out. (too much rusty) and I copied the new structure from the PF25 base.
this enable to carry the machine with a manual fork lift.
4 X M10 bolts and rubber pads under the base plates, for leveling the machine.
thanks for your attention, and you can comment in English or French.

e dernier.
le cadre inférieur d'origine de la base a été découpé. (trop rouillé) et j'ai copié la nouvelle structure à partir de la base PF25.
cela permet de transporter la machine avec un chariot élévateur manuel.
4 boulons M10 et patins en caoutchouc sous les plaques de base, pour niveler la machine.
merci pour votre attention, et vous pouvez commenter en anglais ou en français.

thanks,
Zohar.

Dernière édition:
M

mvt

Compagnon
Hi Zohar,

Really nice work. It looks new.
I've to have a look on mine to add a DRO. The problem is on the Y. Not enough place. Some friends here propose me different solution but I'm still working :( or :) it depends the week :)
Bravo for the cover.
For the "quick descend speed", do you can use it forward and reverse (for threading for example) ?

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi Michel,
thanks.

for the DRO issue. as far as I remember there are few sizes of DRO bars. if you want, I can give you a link
to aliexpress shop, and you can check it, or just give me the size of your space in Y axis, and I'll do it for you.

on my cross table I had the same problem. I gembled and bought a standart size bar and after a hard work and many adjustments
I managed to install it correctly and only 1 or 2 mm left in that space.(in hight):tumbsupe:

as I remember your cross table is identical to mine, and therefor you can install Y axis bar.

for the descent speeds.
I can do it in reverse but there are only 3 speeds and you can't use it for threading. it is mainly designed for drilling and boring using a boring head.

pour le problème DRO. pour autant que je me souvienne, il existe quelques tailles de barres DRO. si tu veux, je peux te donner un lien
à la boutique aliexpress, et vous pouvez le vérifier, ou tout simplement me donner la taille de votre espace sur l'axe Y, et je le ferai pour vous.

sur ma table croisée, j'ai eu le même problème. J'ai assemblé et acheté une barre de taille standard et après un travail acharné et de nombreux ajustements
J'ai réussi à l'installer correctement et il ne reste que 1 ou 2 mm dans cet espace. (En hauteur): tumbsupe:

si je me souviens bien, votre table croisée est identique à la mienne, et vous pouvez donc installer une barre d'axe Y.

pour les vitesses de descente.
Je peux le faire en sens inverse mais il n'y a que 3 vitesses et vous ne pouvez pas l'utiliser pour le filetage. il est principalement conçu pour le perçage et le forage à l'aide d'une tête de forage.

Zohar.

Dernière édition:
M

mvt

Compagnon
Hi Zohar,

Thanks.
I've seen few models. They have "slim scales" (Sitton for example), but it seems they not available in England (for another model of DRO, EASSON).
Easson proposes a "Z coupling system", I can add the "big Z" with the sensitive head (small Z').
Emerges a new problem... How and where to screw the DRO bar on the Z'.
I'll take some pictures, but some are available here (sorry, it is for the X, not the Y and the comments are in French) and a solution here, but not studied yet :)

Best regards

Michel

Z

zohar956

Apprenti
Hi,
so you already have a DRO system but you can't install the Y axis becouse they don't have a slim one?
if you havn't buy yet, go to china. they offer many sizes, many options, at many shops in a quite funny prices.
mine cost around 200$ (2 axis) at my door, and it function great. I'm happy with my choice.
all my tools for my Emco s11 lathe I'v bought from china include 3 jaws and 4 jaws chucks and I'm quite satisfy from accuracy. (0.02 mm.)
about Z axis. uploud a picture than we'll talk.
Zohar.

Dernière édition:
M

mvt

Compagnon
Hi,

No, I haven't buy anything yet.
To many projects !
I've to "clear my horizon" a little.
For the DRO, my choice whould be Easson. For the scales, I don't know. I had exchanges with to Aliex reseller. I've to improve my point of view for the scales location before (and close some projects before of before :) )
Michel